Job Opportunity: GMRSC Assistant Building Inspector / Development Officer (bilingual)
Are you looking for an opportunity to play a vital role in facilitating responsible development while enjoying the charm of a captivating region? Are you fluent in both official languages? Join the Greater Miramichi Regional Service Commission – Planning Services as the Assistant Building Inspector and Development Officer, where you will be able to help guide applicants through building and development permit applications, as well as various planning applications. The Greater Miramichi area is a place renowned for its natural beauty, cultural heritage, and exciting growth. Embrace the great outdoors, become part of a vibrant community, and contribute to a thriving economy while making a lasting impact on responsible development.
Key Responsibilities: As Assistant Building Inspector / Development Officer, you will be responsible for a range of exciting tasks that will keep you engaged and fulfilled:
- Guide applicants through the process of applying for required permits and approvals, both online and in person, and connect them with the appropriate internal staff members or external departments when necessary.
- Review and issue development permits, along with related plans and documents.
- Provide confirmation of zoning letters as required.
- Foster effective communication and cooperation between different departments involved in the development approval process.
- Address and resolve conflicts that may arise during the application review process, working with applicants and relevant parties to find suitable solutions.
- Coordinate enforcement efforts related to municipal by-laws and provincial regulations.
- Implement strategies to enhance the overall customer experience throughout the approval process, seeking feedback from applicants and stakeholders for continuous improvement.
- Perform other duties related to development as the position evolves.
Qualifications and Skills: To excel in this role, you should possess the following:
- Fluent in spoken and written English and French (please indicate in your cover letter or resume)
- Diploma in engineering technology, construction technology, or a related field.
- Other relevant construction or development training or experience will also be considered.
- New Brunswick Building Official (NBBOA) Level 1 certification or the ability to obtain it.
- Strong customer service orientation, dedicated to ensuring customer success.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to interact with applicants, staff, and the public effectively.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills to assess development applications and make informed decisions based on regulations and policies.
- Proficiency in computer skills within a Windows environment.
- Reliable means of transportation and a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to adapt to evolving regulations, technology, and industry best practices.
Salary and Benefits: At GMRSC, we believe in rewarding our employees for their dedication and hard work:
- Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications. Expected salary range: $54,500-$61,600.
- Attractive benefits package, including retirement savings plan and medical/dental insurance, for all full-time employees.
- Support for professional certification and continued professional learning, empowering you to grow in your career.
- Flexibility in work arrangements to maintain a healthy work-life balance, with opportunities for hybrid work models.
- Equal opportunity employer.
If you are eager to shape the future of the Miramichi region and meet the qualifications, we encourage you to apply today! Please send your cover letter and detailed resume to the following address no later than 4 PM AST on December 31st, 2023:
Mathieu Goguen, PTech, NBCBO3, CRBO
Building Inspection Services Manager
Greater Miramichi Regional Service Commission
1173 Water Street, 2nd floor
Miramichi, NB E1N 1B2
Join us in creating a vibrant and sustainable Miramichi – Apply now!
Note: Please mention “Assistant Building Inspector / Development Officer” in the subject line of your email.
Closing Date: December 31st, 2023, 4 PM AST
Starting Date: Immediate Availability
We thank all those who apply; only those who have been selected for the next stage will be contacted.
To ensure a fair evaluation based on qualifications and fit for the role, references may be requested after the pre-screening or interviewing phase.